Wednesday 3 February 2010

Whirlwind January - the Big Knit!

Not quite sure what happened to January! All I know is that it's already gone and we're into February!

So, I'm now casting my mind back to where I've been and what I've been up to the last couple of weeks....

First up, The Big Knit!


This was a great day, organised by Big Issue in the North, and hosted by the Nexus Art Cafe in Manchester. The aim of the day was to knit hats, gloves and scarves for Big Issue vendors. Around 70 knitters sat and chatted, knitted (or learned to knit), ate cakes and coffee and generally had a great time. Lots of knitting later and there was a lovely line of finished items, ready to be given to vendors. I taught two lovely girls to knit. They'd only dropped in to find out about a gig, but ended up spending all afternoon learning to knit and producing a good couple of inches of scarf each! Here they are with their knitting - great work, girls!


If you have some spare time, Big Issue in the North are always happy to receive warm items for their vendors, many of whom are homeless and all of whom sell the Big Issue on our high streets in all weathers. If you need yarn or knitting needles, just get in touch with them and they'll be happy to send out a parcel so you can get knitting! And if you have yarn or needles to donate, these are always needed and can be dropped off at the Big Issue offices in Manchester.

Thank you to the Nexus Cafe and to Dante and his team for organising such a great event!

(And, for those of you in the Manchester area, the cafe runs a knitting group on Sunday afternoons, as well as various craft groups and lots of other exciting events).

No comments:

Email me updates

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Pinterest

    Follow Me on Pinterest

    Debbie's Slideshow

    Heritage Crafts Association

    The Heritage Crafts Association

    Craft Rally

    P/hop

    Blog Archive

    UK Knitters Blogring

    Creative Connections webzine

    About Me

    My photo
    Hi and welcome to my blog! Check out what's been cookin' in my Colour Cauldron and see what's been keeping me busy.....
     
    Dyers Web Ring
    Powered By Ringsurf